Christmas dinner for our dogs

The end-of-year celebrations allow all excesses and it is very tempting to share with our faithful companions a little of our culinary pleasure.

Attention ! Our domestic dogs, though descended from wolves,have a standardized diet all year round and their intestinal flora does not allow them to stray. Any change in diet should be made gradually, over a period of 2 to 3 weeks.

Forget the idea of ​​giving the remains of dishes to Médor, foods full of fats, spices and condiments that are harmful to his health.

In particular, avoid chocolate, chestnuts, smoked salmon or foie gras. These foods can cause poisoning, especially if eaten in large quantities. Veterinarians warn us. Small dogs, more fragile and often particularly spoiled, can easily die there.

Chocolate :

It is deadly for the dog! It contains a substance called theobromine. Less present in white chocolate or milk chocolate, it is very concentrated in dark chocolate and a few squares can kill a small dog.

Even if your dog gives you cocker spaniel eyes, you will have to resist the temptation to give them to him. He could die in less than 24 hours, says Dr. Céline Moussour, veterinarian, who remembers the case of a boxer who died after being stolen and eaten and a ballotin of dark chocolate at Christmas.

Smoked salmon:

In its raw state, this food is very digestible for our dogs. Once processed and smoked, however, it becomes high in salt and can lead to dehydration, vomiting and colic.

Foie gras :

Like salmon, liver is an excellent food for our dogs. But it too, once transformed into foie gras, becomes an enemy to be driven out of their bowls.

Laurent Gouardo, emergency veterinarian at the Veterinary School of Maisons-Alfort (94) declares “I treat a lot of pancreatitis at Christmas, severe inflammation of the pancreas due to the consumption of foie gras but also poisoning with garlic, onion and grapes”. “I treated a dog suffering from pancreatitis because his mistress had cooked him a chicken in garlic,” he recalls.

Chestnuts:

Veterinarians recommend that we avoid giving our dogs chestnuts (which are often called chestnuts) which cause bloating, diarrhea and vomiting, even intestinal obstruction by blocking digestive transit.

The alcohol :

Our pets have a much lower weight than ours and their resistance to alcohol is therefore particularly low. The slightest amount of alcohol is very harmful for our dogs (and our cats for that matter). It may cause signs of drunkenness, abdominal pain, or even death.

Accidental poisonings:

Your beautiful Christmas tree, these pretty decorations that shine are very interesting for our faithful companions. All these packets, these ribbons represent in the eyes of our dogs the source of infinite amusement.

Be very careful of electrocutions with light garlands, accidental ingestion of wrapping paper, especially for young puppies and small dogs, which are particularly fragile.

“The natural Christmas tree is not dangerous, on the other hand, white fir trees can be toxic, as can mistletoe, holly berries, poinsettias”, warns Ms. Moussour, a specialist in phytotherapy.

These plants ingested in large quantities can cause a heart attack and damage the digestive system.

Conclusion : If you want to please your dog, buy him a treat specially intended for animals, or a new educational toy for example, or even some dog training courses…